Respect. Visionary. Grace. Honorable. Principled. Leader. Extraordinary. These were some of words used at the WCA's Fall Leadership Dinner to describe the late Al DelBello, an outstanding public official, attorney, environmentalist, businessman, mentor, humanitarian, animal welfare advocate, and family man. His friends, colleagues and family members together paid tribute to DelBello, who as former Chairman of the WCA, expanded our organization's reach and influence.
Video tribute to the late Al DelBello, shown at the WCA's Fall Leadership Dinner.
Over 700 members of Westchester's business community were on hand to celebrate his life and work at the WCA's event, held Nov. 19 at the Westchester Marriott. Some highlights:
- County Executive Robert Astorino remembered DelBello always took the time to ask about Astorino's personal life. "Above all," Astorino said, "Al was a family man. He knew the work day ends, and your family is there for you to go home to; I never forgot that."
- Paula Mandell, regional president, M&T Bank, recalled how welcoming DelBello was at her first WCA event years ago. "I felt so overwhelmed with the number of people there. Al reached out with a kind hand and introduced me around. I immediately felt like I belonged."
- Dee DelBello, publisher, CEO, Westfair Communications, said how proud she was to have so many people remember her late husband and his work. She discussed his many accomplishments, and his approach to life, noting, "Al always said, with vision, creativity, and good people, you can accomplish anything."
- Joseph DePaolo, president & CEO, Signature Bank, who received the Al DelBello Visionary Award at the dinner, talked about the unwavering support he received from DelBello when he made an important career decision. "I had just resigned from HSBC Bank to start a new venture. I made 30 phone calls. Only one person was supportive, and that was Al."
- William Mooney, Jr., WCA president & CEO, said, "Al brought innovation, vision, and pragmatism to every position he held. We lost a true visionary, and leader."